Old Cowboy Stories gathering and moving cattle
Sometimes a good memory walks into my head of the things I did in my youth. I recall that I spent a lot of time in the same by myself. Most people that have met me in say the last twenty four years wouldn't believe how quit I was even I first met people. My Deb said I was a social wallflower when she met me lol. And I still enjoy being alone and miss it. Now on with my story
We got a call from one of the neighbors and was informed that around a hundred head of cow calf pairs in their field east of their house. So I went to the ranch with Dad and while they labored I saddled Old Blue up and went out up the canyon to the neighbors house then up in the field I didn't see anything but then I started hearing them so I went brush popping. Once I got into the brush it was like going into a barn. It was open in the middle except for the berry bushes that were kinda trimmed by the livestock so it was rather open. I started moving slowly back and forth to they started moving forward in the general direction I wanted them to go when we emerged from the brush it looked like there was around a hundred head of cow calf pairs. I got them headed toward the gate going into the pasture and they knew exactly were to go so I just mosied along behind them and kept them moving. Now cows are always talking to each other rather loud. They attracted a can't the I missed and he was a belering something fierce so I went out to the side of the road and let him by. We eventually made it to what sufficed was a fence and I shut the gate. They went on up to our BLM lease and I mossied back to the ranch. The whole process took around three or four hours. I sure do miss those days.

Comments
Post a Comment